Core Program Cooking Retreats
Over the past 10 years, the Core Program has proven to be the most popular program for both the well seasoned cook and novice. Master your skills in health-supportive cooking and theory while enjoying the amenities of a vacation destination, along with like-minded people from across the globe.
Most retreats begin at 3:00 p.m. in the afternoon on the first day and complete on the final day at approximately 3:00 p.m. (check individual class listing). Enrollment confirmation, driving directions, itinerary and retreat week details are e-mailed upon receipt of the retreat deposit.
Most mornings begin with a whole foods breakfast (site specific). Cooking classes are in either the morning or afternoon and include a noontime or evening meal so you can feast on the satisfying results. Some sites include yoga or movement classes (check individual site listing).
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
Each daily four-hour hands-on class includes the orchestration and preparation of a mostly vegetarian meal (one class includes fish) from soup to dessert using the highest quality, organic ingredients available—free of the most common allergy producing foods such as wheat, dairy and refined sugar. Menus include both raw and cooked foods. Classes include:
- Honing your knife skills
- The art of creating balanced and satisfying menus free of after dinner cravings
- Fundamental principles of health-supportive cooking and seasonal techniques for preparing delicious organic meals including:
- Non-dairy “cream” soups
- Salads and vinaigrettes
- Grain, bean and pasta dishes
- Seasonal vegetables
- Calcium-rich greens
- Mouth-watering desserts, and
- Time saving tips for your success in the kitchen
Before each of the five cooking sessions, Diane will review the daily menu and introduce you to their health-supportive ingredients such as grains, beans, natural sweeteners, high quality oils, condiments and a variety of staples—why we use them and the resources available for stocking your own pantry.
Together we'll create a master plan or map to guide you through the menu preparation. Then we will head for the kitchen where you'll begin cooking in small groups under Diane's expert guidance. Following each cooking class, we'll feast on the gourmet meal you've prepared to experience the satisfying results.
In these life-changing lecture/workshops, you'll discover a whole new way to think about food and how to make conscious food choices that support your personal goals. Topics include:
- The impact of our food choices on our physical, mental and emotional health
- Three levels of food consciousness, the use of intention, and how to become an educated consumer and conscious gourmet
- How to choose a style of eating based upon your particular constitution
- Practical nutritional models such as expansive/contractive, acid/alkaline and Five Element Theory from Chinese Medicine as they pertain to our food choices
- ABC’s of menu planning and how to prepare meals that balance YOU
- How to identify and manage food cravings and binges and eliminate the toxic bloat that often accompanies it
- The connection between food and mood
- How to maintain or lose weight, often the result of a healthy diet
- Underlying health conditions that often sabotage our best efforts to maintain a health supporting diet
- Selection and use of high quality fats, oils and omega 3’s
- Local and Internet resources for health-supportive foods, condiments, kitchen staples and more!
Agendas are arranged so you will have free to explore your vacation destination’s unique offerings on your own or with the group. Visit individual retreat sites for specific opportunities for sightseeing, hiking, shopping and gallery browsing or for spa services. One afternoon and evening includes an optional group excursion and dinner.
PROGRAM FEE: $1295 – Only one of the following discounts per enrollment.
- $200 Discount for payment in full 90 days prior to start date
- $200 Discount for two people enrolling together ($100 each)
The Core Program Fee includes the following:
- Orientation, cooking demonstration and dinner
- Knife skills class (knives supplied for your use during program)
- Daily Hands-on cooking classes with complete organic meals
- Daily Breakfast (at specified locations)
- 3 Lecture/workshops
- Conscious Gourmet logo apron
- Binder with recipes and lecture/workshop handouts
- Morning yoga or movement class (at specified locations)
Not included in the program fee:
- Car rental or shuttle/taxi services
- Accommodations (included in some retreat locations – check individual site)
- Meals or beverages (that are not listed above)
Additional tours or services are available at the participant's option and expense. If you choose to participate in activities outside of the group itinerary, no deductions, allowances or substitutions will be made.
Register by calling Diane at 917-975-9721 or e-mail
to reserve your space. A non-refundable, non transferable, $250 deposit confirms your space. You will be notified where to send your check or money order made payable to The Conscious Gourmet. Include your name, address, phone number and e-mail address as well as your selected program location. Early registration is recommended to assure space availability. Class size is limited.
- Program Fee balance is due 60 days prior to class start date
- Accommodations fees (where applicable) are payable in full 60 days prior to start date
- Registration 59 days or less before the start date requires payment in full
Your enrollment will be confirmed by e-mail (or mailed hard copy if requested) along with an itinerary and all the retreat week details to make your journey as easy and enjoyable as possible.
Please click here to read our cancellation and other policies.
We recommend purchasing travel insurance through the Internet such as Travel Guard whose travel insurance plans offer coverage for trip cancellation, travel interruptions and delays, emergency medical and health expenses, lost baggage and more.
VIEW OUR CURRENT CALENDAR FOR A COMPLETE LISTING OF UPCOMING PROGRAMS
WHO ATTENDS THE RETREATS
People of all ages and experience levels who have a spirit of adventure, love to eat and/or cook, and choose to do it healthfully — singles, couples, mothers and daughters, fathers and sons, sisters, groups of friends, you and me.
THE PERFECT GIFT
Cooking retreats make a perfect gift — Birthdays, Mother's Day, Anniversaries, Father's Day, Christmas or Hanukkah, Graduations — or, for no reason at all!